A catheter is a tube that helps in draining urine from the bladder. An individual suffering from urinating problems will be recommended to use a primary catheter by a doctor. So, here we will tell you about some of the popular catheters used by patients today. Also, it would be best if you looked into Hollister Catheters before you make your purchase.
What are some of the major reasons that a patient must use a catheter?
- Nerve damage or weakness in the bladder
- Major injuries to the urethra
- Congenital disabilities that have affected the urinary tract
- Kidney or stones in the bladder
- Enlarged prostate issues in males
- Defect in the urethra
- Formation of tumors in the urinary tract or reproductive organs
Types of catheters and what can be expected from them?
Intermittent catheter: This is the standard catheter that has a flexible thin tube that can be inserted into the bladder via the urethra. You can attach the tube to an external drain which helps in collecting the urine.
- What can be expected? Once the bladder is emptied, the catheter needs to be removed. It would be best if you made sure that the old catheter has been removed and a new one is inserted several times a day, which helps in emptying the bladder.
External catheters: Some males can opt for an external catheter. This looks like a condom and can be fitted over the penis without any hassle. Based on the health condition of the male, the doctor will recommend this type of catheter. This is mainly advised for those males who do not suffer from any urinary blockages and can use this catheter on their own.
- What can be expected? Since the external catheters do not enter the urethra, they do not cause too much discomfort. In comparison to other types of catheters, these are less likely to cause UTIs.
If your doctor recommends you use a catheter, make sure you are aware of the details. Read through articles and understand the type of catheter that will be most suitable for your health condition. Also, it would be best if you asked your doctor questions so that you understand what has been inserted in your body and what could be the possible side effects and health benefits of the same. Having information on this can be useful for you.